Monday, October 4, 2010

Apple Picking

It has been a long time since we made apple sauce. I have noticed my youngest 2 girls live a different life than my oldest two girls. The youngest 2 have never been involved in canning anything. With the oldest two we canned all the time. So inbetween conference sessions we went out to the apple orchard and picked some apples to make apple sauce. They also had a cider press at the orchard so we made some cider too. It was fun! We have so far made apple crisp, fruit roll up (with the dehydrater) and dried apples. Tonight for family night we are making apple sauce! When Derek was little he loved picking apples now that he is a teenager he wasn't so interested in picking apples or making the apple sauce - I believe his exact words were " I will not participate in our family becoming amish" - side note - he has eaten everything made out of the apples! HAGrace picking the apples - It was a beautiful day!
3 buckets and box - that will keep us busy for awhile
Making Cider - it was a lot of work!

5 comments:

Jennie Kunz said...

OH I LOVED going there with my Mom!! SO FUN!

Anonymous said...

Oh yum that does sound delish! It looks like it was a beautiful day to go to the apple orchard!

Shannon said...

HOW AWESOME!!! I would love to do that!
Derek is cracking me up with his comment... i would have MADE him come! hahahhaa

Kristin said...

we were determined to do the same thing this year...made it out a couple of weeks ago. ;)

Jackie said...

Can't wait for some of that wonderful cider!!:D Derek sounds a lot like another member of the family who made fun of me for making homemade bread.